- Bloomsbury: The Nonesuch Press, 1938.
Scotland : R. & R. Clark, 1938.
- Physical Description:
- xx, , 874,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 26 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR4556 .A1 1938Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "This edition of Bleak House, part of the Nonesuch Dickens designed by Francis Meynell, is limited to 877 copies. The text has been printed in Great Britain by R. & R. Clark Ltd., in this specially-cut version of Martin's type; the illustrations have been pulled by hand from the original plates by Mr. W.L. Colls of Barnes; the binding is executed by the Leighton-Straker Bookbinding Co., Ltd.; and the paper was made by the Worthy Paper Company Association of West Springfield."--Colophon.
"The text printed in this volume is taken from the 'Charles Dickens' Edition of Dicken's Works issued in 1868-1870. Dickens himself revised this edition for the press, striking out or altering words here and there and making exensive changes in punctuation. A few indisputable misprints which excaped his eye have now been corrected. The captions written by Dickens to go at the head of right-hand pages in the 'Chales Dickens' Edition are printed in the margins of this volume against the relevant passages. The illustrations are printed from the plates etched for the original edition. We have added the frontispiece to the Cheap Edition and the wrapper of the monthly parts, both printed from the original wood-blocks, and the two frontispieces from the Library Edition, printed from the original steel plates."--Page V.
Dreyfus, J. History of the Nonesuch Press, page 240
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original brown buckram.
- Subject Terms:
- Guardian and ward -- Fiction.Illegitimate children -- Fiction.Inheritance and succession -- Fiction.London (England) -- Fiction.Private press books -- England -- London -- Specimens.Young women -- Fiction.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
Etchings -- 1938.
Engravings -- 1938.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.