Dickens, Charles, 1812-1870., Great expectations , 1937
- Great expectations : Hard times.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Great expectations
- Bloomsbury : The Nonesuch Press, 1937.
- Physical Description:
- xv, , 765,  pages : illustrations ; 26 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR4560 .A1 1937Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "'Great Expectations' first appeared as a serial in All the Year Round in 1860 and 1861. It was reprinted in volume-form in 1861. The illustrations for 'Great Expectations' are printed from the woodblocks engraved for the Illustrated Library Edition in 1862. 'Hard Times' was originally a serial in Household Words during 1854, and was re-issued as a volume in the same year. The illustrations by Fred Walker are printed from the original woodblocks made for the Illustrated Library Edition. The text given here of both novels is that of the 'Charles Dickens' Edition, which Dickens revised for the press. The captions which he wrote to go at the head of right-hand pages are printed in the margins of this volume against the relevant passages."--Page v.
"This edition of Great Expectations and Hard Times, part of the Nonesuch Dickens designed by Francis Meynell, is limited to 877 copies. The text has been printed in Great Britain by R. & R. Clark Ltd., in this specially-cut version of Martin's type; the binding is executed by the Leighton-Straker Bookbinding Co., Ltd. of London; and the paper was made by the Worthy Paper Company Association of West Springfield."--Colophon.
Dreyfus, J. History of the Nonesuch Press, page 239
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original blue buckram.
- Subject Terms:
- England -- Social life and customs -- 19th century -- Fictions.Ex-convicts -- Fiction.Private press books -- England -- London -- Specimens.Social problems -- Fiction.Young men -- England -- Fiction.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
Wood engravings -- 1937.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.