Dickens, Charles, 1812-1870, Nicholas Nickleby, 1938
- Nicholas Nickleby.
- Bloomsbury : The Nonesuch Press, 1938.
- Physical Description:
- xxiii, , 835,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 26 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR4565 .A1 1938Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "The text printed in this volume is taken from the 'Charles Dickens' edition of Dickens' Works issued in 1868-1870. Dickens himself revised this edition for the press, striking out or altering words here and there and making extensive changes in punctuation. A few indisputable misprints which excaped his eye have now been corrected. The captions written by Dickens to go at the head of right-hand pages in the 'Chales Dickens' Edition are printed in the margins of this volume against the relevant passages. The illustrations are printed from the plates etched for the original edition. The cover-design of the Monthly Parts is printed from and electrotype, and the frontispiece to the Cheap Edition, from the original wood-block."--Page V.
"This edition of Nicholas Nickleby, part of the Nonesuch Dickens designed by Francis Meynell, is limited to 877 copies. The text has been printed in Great Britain by R. & R. Clark Ltd., in this specially-cut version of Martin's type; the illustrations have been pulled by hand from the original plates by A. Alexander and Sons; the binding is executed by the Leighton-Straker Bookbinding Co., Ltd.; and the paper was made by the Worthy Paper Company Association of West Springfield."--Colophon.
Dreyfus, J. History of the Nonesuch Press, page 241
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's dark blue buckram.
- Subject Terms:
- Boarding schools -- Fiction.England -- Fiction.Fathers -- Death -- Fiction.Poor families -- Fiction.Private press books -- England -- London -- Specimens.Theatrical companies -- Fiction.Uncles -- Fiction.Widows -- Fiction.Young men -- Fiction.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
Etchings -- 1938.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.