Dickens, Charles, 1812-1870, Dombey and Son, 1937
- Dombey and Son.
- Bloomsbury : The Nonesuch Press, 1937.
- Physical Description:
- xx, , 880,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 26 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR4559 .A1 1937Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "This edition of Dombey and Son, part of the Nonesuch Dickens designed by Francis Meynell, is limited to 877 copies. The text has been printed in Great Britain by R. & R. Clark Ltd., in this specially-cut version of Martin's type; the illustrations have been pulled by hand from the original plates by A. Alexander and Sons; the binding is executed by the Leighton-Straker Bookbinding Co., Ltd.; and the paper was made by the Worthy Paper Company Association of West Springfield."--Colophon.
"The text printed in this volume is taken from the 'Charles Dickens' Edition of Dicken's Works issued in 1868-1870. Dickens himself revised this edition for the press, striking out or altering words here and there and making extensive changes in punctuation. A few indisputable misprints which escaped his eye have now been corrected. The captions written by Dickens to go at the head of right-hand pages in the 'Charles Dickens' edition are printed in the margins of this volume against the relevant passages. The illustrations are printed from the plates etched for the original edition. The frontispiece to the Cheap Edition of 1858, a wood-engraving from a drawing by 'Phiz,' and the two engraved title-pages by him for the Library Edition has been added."--Page V.
Dreyfus, J. History of the Nonesuch Press, page 240
The tale of a selfish, hard-hearted man, the son he favored, and the daughter he slighted.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original dark green buckram.
- Subject Terms:
- Businesspeople -- Fiction.Domestic fiction.Dysfunctional families -- Fiction.England -- Fiction.Family-owned business enterprises -- Fiction.Fathers and daughters -- Fiction.Private press books -- England -- London -- Specimens.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
Etchings -- 1938.
Wood engravings -- 1938.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.