American notes : Pictures from Italy : A child's history of England : The life of our Lord.
- Additional Title(s):
Pictures from Italy
Child's history of England
Life of our Lord
- Bloomsbury : The Nonesuch Press, 1938.
- Physical Description:
- xxii, 891,  pages,  leaf of plates : illustrations ; 27 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsE165 .D5 1938Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "This edition of American Notes, Pictures from Italy, A child's history of England and The life of our Lord, part of the Nonesuch Dickens designed by Francis Meynell, is limited to 877 copies. It has been printed in Great Britain by Messrs. R. & R. Clark in a specially-cut version of Martin's type; the binding is by the Leighton-Straker Bookbinding Co., Ltd.; and the paper was made by the Worthy Paper Company Association of West Springfield."--Colophon.
"... combined in this volume four works of Dickens's middle period: 'American Notes,' first published in 1842; 'Pictures from Italy,' which appeared originally as a series of letters in the Daily News during 1846 and were published with additions as a volume in the same year; 'A child's history of England,' originally a series in 'Household Words' from 1851-53; and 'The life of Our Lord,' written in 1849 and first published in 1934. ... The illustrations for 'American Notes' are printed from the blocks engraved for the Illustrated Library Edition of 1862, and the frontispiece to the Cheap Edition of 1850, from an electrotype of the original wood-block. The illustrations in the text of 'Pictures from Italy' are the wood-engravings made for the Illustrated Library Edition of 1862, printed from the original blocks, and those added as an appendix are process-block reproductions from Samuel Palmer's wood-blocks in the First Edition of 1846. The frontispiece for the combined volume 'Pictures from Italy' and 'American Notes' in the Library Edition of 1858 is printed from the steel plate engraved by 'Phiz.' The three frontispieces from the first volume-edition of 'A child's history of England' of 1852-54 are reproduced by means of process-blocks, and the illustrations in the text engraved for the People's Edition of 1865-66, are printed from the original wood-blocks."--Page v.
Dreyfus, J. History of the Nonesuch Press, page 240
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original dark brown buckram.
- Subject Terms:
- Canada -- Description and travel.Dickens, Charles, 1812-1870 -- Travel -- United States.Great Britain -- History -- Juvenile literature.Italy -- Description and travel.Italy.Jesus Christ -- Biography -- Juvenile literature.Private press books -- England -- London -- Specimens.Travel.United States -- Description and travel.United States -- Social life and customs -- 1783-1865.United States.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
Photomechanical prints -- 1938.
Wood engravings -- 1938.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.