- Bloomsbury : The Nonesuch Press, 1937.
- Physical Description:
- xv, , 482,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 26 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR4557 .A1 1937Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Dreyfus, J. History of the Nonesuch Press, page 239
"This edition of Christmas Books, part of the Nonesuch Dickens designed by Francis Meynell, is limited to 877 copies. The text has been printed in Great Britain by R. & R. Clark Ltd., in this specially-cut version of Martin's type; the etchings for "A Christmas Carol" were printed and hand-coloured by A. Alexander & Sons Ltd.; the paper was made by the Worthy Paper Company Association of West Springfield."--Colophon.
Originally published as separate volumes from 1843-1848. They were issued together under the collective title of "Christmas Books" in the Cheap Edition in 1852.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original red buckram.
- Subject Terms:
- Christmas stories, English.England -- Fiction.England -- Social life and customs -- 19th century -- Fiction.Private press books -- England -- London -- Specimens.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
Etchings -- 1937.
Wood engravings -- 1937.
- A Christmas Carol
- The chimes
- The cricket on the hearth
- The battle of life
- The haunted man.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.