Tom Raw, the Griffin : a burlesque poem, in twelve cantos : illustrated by twenty-five engravings, descriptive of the adventures of a cadet in the East India Company's service, from the period of his quitting England to his obtaining a staff situation in India / by a civilian and an officer on the Bengal establishment.
- Additional Title(s):
- London : Printed for R. Ackermann, 1828.
- Physical Description:
- viii, , 325 p.,  leaves of plates : col ill. ; 25 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR4626.D6 T66 1828+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View digital images from the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database
- Spine title, on publisher's printed label: The Griffin: a burlesque poem: with twenty five engravings. Price 1L. 1 s.
Printed by J. Moyes, Took's Court, Chancery Lane.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 450
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in original brown paper covered boards. Bookplate: Fitz Eugene Dixon.  p. of publisher's advertisements at end not included in pagination.
- Subject Terms:
- Ackermann, R. -- Publisher.British -- India -- Poetry.Dixon, Fitz Eugene -- Bookplate.East India Company -- Poetry.East India Company. Army -- Poetry.India -- Social life and customs -- Poetry.Moyes, J. -- Printer.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1828.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1828.
- Tom Raw forwarded to head quarters
- Tom Raw crossing the line
- Tom Raw at the Cape of Good Hope
- Tom Raw presents letters of introduction
- Tom Raw between smoke & fire
- Tom Raw treats Lucy to a ride
- Tom Raw rather awkward at the dance
- Tom Raw sits for his portrait
- Tom Raw's misfortune at the ball
- Tom Raw mistakes a French milliner for a Hindoo goddess
- Tom Raw at a Hindoo entertainment
- Tom Raw rejects the embraces of the Nabob of Bengal
- Tom Raw brought face to face with the enemy
- Tom Raw mounts an elephant for the first time
- The Royal Hindoo Hunt
- The ferocity of the tiger
- Tom Raw in danger
- Tom Raw carried up the country
- Tom Raw gets introduced to his colonel
- Tom Raw gains the victory
- Tom Raw in the midst of difficulties
- Tom Raw on Short Commons
- Tom Raw disappointed at hearing the will read
- Tom Raw wounded
- Tom Raw obtains a staff appointment.