Lavater, Johann Caspar, 1741-1801, Essays on physiognomy , MDCCLXXXIX-MDCCXCVIII [1789-1798, i.e. 1799]
- Essays on physiognomy : designed to promote the knowledge and the love of mankind / by John Caspar Lavater ... : illustrated by more than eight hundred engravings accurately copied, and some duplicates added from originals ; executed by, or under the inspection of, Thomas Holloway ; translated from the French by Henry Hunter, D.D., Minister of the Scots Church, London-Wall.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Physiognomische Fragmente zur Beförderung der Menschenkenntniss und Menschenliebe. English
- London : Printed for John Murray, no. 32, Fleet-Street; H. Hunter, D.D. Charles's-Square; and T. Holloway, no. 11, Bache's-Row, Hoxton, MDCCLXXXIX-MDCCXCVIII [1789-1798, i.e. 1799]
- Physical Description:
- 3 volumes in 5 : illustrations, 34 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsBF843 .L38 1789+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN Zg18 L412 +g789: Bookplate of Colonel Shedden. Volumes 1 and 2 are reprinted, except for the preliminary leaves. Despite the dates of the imprints (1789 and 1792), the watermarks are dated 1801, 1804, and 1806. A copy of the first edition is in the Franklin collection.
BEIN Zg18 L412 g789a: Another issue. With a number of variations in catchwords, paging, state of plates, etc.
SML,Y Krq3 +775Lgd: Another edition. Volumes 1 and 2 are printed, except for preliminary leaves, from a new setting of type. The dates in the watermarks are 1801, 1804, and 1806. Vol. 1, v. 2, pt. 1, and v. 3, pt. 1 lack half-titles. "List of subscribers" bound at end of v. 3, pt. 2. Bookplate of John Grant. Autograph of John Fergus. Imperfect: lacking: p. 345-350 and added plates B-H and L (eyebrows and supplements) of chapter IV; plates B-D of chapter V; p. 399-402 and plates A-F of chapter VII; p. 411-414 and plates A-C of chapter IX; p. 433-434 and plate E of chapter XIV.
Translation of: Physiognomische Fragmente zur Beförderung der Menschenkenntniss und Menschenliebe.
Engravings by Philip Audinet, Inigo Barlow, Francesco Bartolozzi, William Blake, William Bromley, James Caldwell, Grignion, John Hall, Heath, Thomas Holloway, Howe, James Neagle, Rhodes, William Sharp, Anker Smith, Isaac Taylor, Paton Thomson, Thornwaite, Thomas Trotter, and Thomas Vivares; after Bartolozzi, Burney, Philippe de Champagne, Daniel Chodowiecki, Henry Fuseli, Hans Holbein, Le Brun, Angelica Kaufman, Godfrey Kneller, Pierre Mignard, Peter Paul Reubens, Schlutter, Benjamin West, and Anthony Van Dyke.
Four plates in v. 1 engraved by William Blake (at pages 127, 159, 206, and 225). See: Bentley.
Originally published in 30 parts: January 1788-May 1799. Each part consists of sheets of letterpress with engraved plates and vignettes. Paged successively.
Vol. 2, pt. 2, and v. 3, pt. 2 have half-title only.
Vol. 1: , iv, , 178, *175-*178, 179-278 p.,  leaves of plates; v. 2, pt. 1: xii, 238 p.,  leaves of plates; v. 2, pt. 2: , 240-444 p.,  leaves of plates; v. 3, pt. 1: xii, 252, [29 ] leaves of plates; v. 3, pt. 2: , 253-437,  p.,  leaves of plates.
Signatures: vol. 1: pi² a-e² chi1 A-4D²; v. 2, pt. 1: [a]² b-c² A-3N² 3O²(-3O2); v. 2, pt. 2: pi1 a⁴(-a4) 3P-5T²;. v. 3, pt. 1: [a]² b-c² A-3R²; v. 3, pt. 2: pi1 a² 3S-5R² 5S² (-5S2) 5T-5X².
Bentley, G.E. Blake books, 481
Osler, W. Bib. Osleriana, p. 283, no. 3178
Wellcome cat. of printed books, III, 458
W.A. Clark Library, UCLA, 9:102
"List of subscribers": v. 1, 7th-11th prelim. leaves.
BAC: British Art Center copy in original 30 parts, bound in publisher's printed wrappers.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Characters and characteristics.Fergus, John -- Autograph.Grant, John -- Bookplate.Physiognomy.Shedden, Colonel -- Bookplate.
- Engravings -- 1788-1799.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.