Kidson, Alex, George Romney , 2015
George Romney : a complete catalogue of his paintings / Alex Kidson.
- New Haven : Published for The Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art by Yale University Press, 2015.
- Physical Description:
- 3 volumes : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 30 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.R65 A12 K54 2015 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
"This magnificent catalogue, in three volumes and with nearly 2,000 illustrations, will restore George Romney (1734-1802) to his long-overdue position - with his contemporaries Reynolds and Gainsborough - as a master of 18th-century British portrait painting. The product of impressive and thorough research undertaken over the course of 20 years, Alex Kidson asserts Romney's status as one of the greatest British painters, whose last catalogue raisonne was published over 100 years ago. In more than 1,800 entries, many supported by new photography, Kidson aims to solve longstanding issues of attribution, distinguishing genuine pictures by Romney from works whose traditional attribution to him can no longer be supported. The author's insights are guided by rich primary source material on Romney--including account books, ledgers, and sketchbooks--as well as secondary sources such as prints after lost works, newspaper reports and reviews, and writings by Romney's contemporaries"-- Provided by publisher.
- Subject Terms:
- Romney, George, 1734-1802 -- Catalogues raisonnés.