Surreal times : the abstract engravings and wartime letters of John Buckland Wright / introduced by Christopher Buckland Wright.
- Huddersfield, West Yorkshire : The Fleece Press, 2000.
- Physical Description:
- , 7-87,  pages : illustrations (some color) ; 35 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNE642.B8 A4 2000+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Gift of Peter Stansky, Yale BA 1953View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Some mounted illustrations.
In case as issued.
" ... the third in a series of four which we are compiling on the woodengravings of John Buckland Wright."--Preface.
"There are 266 copies of this book, printed on a special making of Magnani mould-made paper. Six, lettered A to F, include an additional set of the engravings printed on gampi vellum. 44 copies are numbered 1 to 44; both versions are signed by Christopher Buckland Wright. They are bound in quarter vellum and patterned paper designed by John Buckland Wright, and include a print from a copper engraving Nymphe Surprise No. II ... printed by Anthony Dyson at his Black Star Press. 210 copies are bound in quarter cloth, and all copies are housed in a slipcase. The type, the incomparably elegant Van Dijck, was set by Peter J. Sanderson at Whittington, and the plates were printed in Sheffield by J.W. Northend. Bound by Smith Settle in Otley"--Colophon.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 82-87).
BAC: British Art Center copy is one of the 210 unnumbered copies bound in quarter yellow cloth and boards; in slipcase.
- Subject Terms:
- Art, Abstract.Art, Abstract.Buckland Wright, John, 1897-1954 -- Correspondence.Buckland Wright, John, 1897-1954.Buckland Wright, John, 1897-1954.Engraving.Engraving.Women in art.Women in art.
- Wood engravings -- England -- 20th century.
Copper engravings -- England -- 20th century.
Records and correspondence.
Typefaces (Type evidence) -- Van Dijck.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.