The voyages, dangerous adventures and imminent escapes of Captain Richard Falconer: containing the laws, customs, and manners of the Indians in America; his shipwrecks; his marrying an Indian wife; his narrow escape from the island of Dominico, &c. : intermix'd with the voyages and adventures of Thomas Randal, of Cork, pilot; with his shipwreck in the Baltick, being the only man that escap'd; his being taken by the Indians of Virginia, &c. / written by himself, now alive.
- London : Printed for W. Chetwood, at Cato's Head, in Russel-Street, Covent-Garden; T. Jauncy, at the Angel without Temple-Bar; A. Bettesworth, in Pater-Noster-Row; J. Brotherton, W. Meadows in Cornhill; and J. Graves, in St. James's-Street, 1720.
- Physical Description:
- , page viii, 72, 136, 179,  pages : illustrations ; 21 cm (8vo)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR3346.C3 V69 1720Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Signatures: [A]² B-E⁸ F⁴ 2A-2H⁸ 2I⁴ 3A-3L⁸ 3M².
The title page is a cancel. Printed in black and red.
Frontispiece engraved by J. Cole.
Captain Richard Falconer is the pseudonym of William Rufus Chetwood.
Halkett, S. Dictionary of anonymous and pseudonymous publications in the English language (3rd ed.), volume 6, page 201
ESTC (RLIN), T72045
Howes, W.U.S.iana (2nd ed.) C356"aa"
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary full calf. With the autograph and armorial bookplate of Sir Lister Holte of Aston in Warwickshire.
- Subject Terms:
- Adventure and adventurers.Adventure and adventurers.Adventure stories.Holte, Lister, Sir -- Bookplate.Indian captivities -- Virginia -- Fiction -- Early works to 1800.Indian captivities.Indian captivities.Indians of North America -- Social life and customs.Indians of North America -- Social life and customs.Randal, Thomas, 1641-1699.Randal, Thomas, 1641-1699.Voyages, Imaginary.Voyages, Imaginary.West Indies -- Description and travel -- Fiction -- Early works to 1800.
- Cancellation (Publishing) -- England -- London -- 1720.
Engravings -- 1720.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Chetwood, W. R. (William Rufus), -1766, The voyages, dangerous adventures and imminent escapes of Captain Richard Falconer, 1720
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.