The history of the first discovery and settlement of Virginia / by William Stith, A.M. President of the College of William and Mary in Virginia.
- [London] : Virginia, printed: London, reprinted for S. Birt in Ave-Mary-Lane, 1753.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 304, 295-331, , v, , 34,  pages ; 21 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsF229 .S75 1753Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- A reissue of the Williamsburg second edition 1747[-1753]
Pages 104 and 257-304 correctly numbered; p. 305-341 misnumbered 295-331.
In this edition the running title on page 20 of the 'Appendix' is King James the I.'s second charter to the" and the penulimate line on page 5 of the 'Appendix' ends with "assigned."
Variant copies of appendix titlepage with imprint: Williamsburg, printed by W. Parks, 1747.
Signatures: A⁴ B-Z⁸ 2A-2D⁴ (2D4 blank).
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 91861
English short title catalogue, T146954
Library Company of Philadelphia. Afro-Americana, 1553-1906, 9876
"An appendix to the first part of the history of Virginia. Containing a collection of such ancient charters or letters patent, as relate to that period of time, and are still extant in our publick offices in the capitol, or in other authentic papers and records. Virginia, printed: London, reprinted for S. Birt in Ave-Mary-Lane. MDCCLIII."--v, , 34,  pages at end, with separate title page.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary calf. Armorial bookplate: Virtus Mille Scuta.
- Subject Terms:
- Slavery -- Virginia.Slavery.Virginia -- History -- Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775.Virginia.
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Stith, William, 1707-1755, The history of the first discovery and settlement of Virginia , 1753
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.