Adair, James, approximately 1709-1783, The history of the American Indians , MDCCLXXV 
- The history of the American Indians : particularly those nations adjoining to the Mississippi, East and West Florida, Georgia, South and North Carolina, and Virginia : containing an account of their origin, language, manners, religious and civil customs, laws, form of government, punishments, conduct in war and domestic life, their habits, diet, agriculture, manufactures, diseases, and method of cure, and other particulars, sufficient to render it a complete Indian system with observations on former historians, the conduct of our colony governors, superintendents, missionaries, &c. : also an appendix, containing a description of the Floridas, and the Mississippi lands, with their productions, the benefits of colonising Georgiana, and civilizing the Indians, and the way to make all the colonies more valuable to the Mother Country : with a new map of the country referred to in the history / by James Adair, Esquire, a trader with the Indians, and resident in their country for forty years.
- London : Printed for Edward and Charles Dilly, in the Poultry, MDCCLXXV 
- Physical Description:
- , 464 pages, ( folded leaf of plates) : map ; 28 cm (4to)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsE77 .A33 1775+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Pages 1-220 contain arguments on the descent of the American Indians from the Jews; pages 221-374 contain accounts of the Katahba, Cheerake, Muskohge, Choktah, and Chikkasah nations; pages 376-448 contain general observation; pages 449-464 contain an appendix, "Advice to statesmen; shewing the advantages of mutual affection between Great Britain and the North American Colonies."
Error in pagination: page 101 misnumbered 102.
Signatures: [*]2, A-Z4, Aa-Zz4, Aaa-Nnn4.
English Short Title Catalog, T86841
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 155
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary tan quarter calf with marbled paper covered boards. Armorial bookplate: Nil Conscire Sibi.
- Subject Terms:
- Florida -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Florida.Gulf States -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Indians -- Origin -- Early works to 1800.Indians -- Origin.Indians of North America -- Early works to 1800.Indians of North America.Travel.United States -- Gulf States.
- Engravings -- 1775.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.