IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Clúny, Alexander, The American traveller, or, Observations on the present state, culture and commerce of the British colonies in America, and the further improvements of which they are capable , MDCCLXIX 
The American traveller, or, Observations on the present state, culture and commerce of the British colonies in America, and the further improvements of which they are capable : with an account of the exports, imports and returns of each colony respectively, and of the numbers of British ships and seamen, merchants, traders and manufacturers employed by all collectively : together with the amount of the revenue arising to Great-Britain therefrom : in a series of letters, written originally to the Right Honourable the Earl of ******** / by an old and experienced trader.
- London : Printed for E. and C. Dilly, in the Poultry, and J. Almon, Piccadilly, MDCCLXIX 
- Physical Description:
- , 122 pages,  leaves of plates, (1 folded) : illustrations, maps ; 28 cm (4to)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsE162 .C58 1769+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Dedication signed: The American traveller; variant: the dedication is unsigned and a holograph signature "Alexr. Cluny" inserted.
Map has title: A map of North & South America, with part of Europe, Asia & Africa. By the American traveller. T. Jefferys sculpt.
Signatures: [A]⁴ B-Q⁴ R¹.
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 13796
English short title catalogue, T12259
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary blue paper wrappers; edges untrimmed. Inscribed: Alexander Cluny begs Lord Clive acceptance of this first part of his American traveller ... 14 Decr 1769.
- Subject Terms:
- America -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.America.British colonies.Canada -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Canada.Clive, Lord -- Presentation inscription from Alexander Cluny, 14 December 1769.Cluny, Alexander -- Presentation inscription to Lord Clive, 14 December 1769.Commerce.Great Britain -- Colonies -- America -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Colonies -- Commerce -- America -- Early works to 1800.Hudson's Bay Company -- Early works to 1800.Hudson's Bay Company.Tobacco industry -- Maryland -- Early works to 1800.Tobacco industry -- Virginia -- Early works to 1800.Travel.United States -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.United States.World maps -- Early works to 1800.World maps.
- Early works.
Engravings -- 1769.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.