Clúny, Alexander, The American traveller, or, Observations on the present state, culture and commerce of the British colonies in America, and the further improvements of which they are capable , MDCCLXIX 
- The American traveller, or, Observations on the present state, culture and commerce of the British colonies in America, and the further improvements of which they are capable : with an account of the exports, imports and returns of each colony respectively, and of the numbers of British ships and seamen, merchants, traders and manufacturers employed by all collectively : together with the amount of the revenue arising to Great-Britain therefrom : in a series of letters, written originally to the Right Honourable the Earl of ******** / by an old and experienced trader.
- London : Printed for E. and C. Dilly, in the Poultry, and J. Almon, Piccadilly, MDCCLXIX 
- Physical Description:
- , 122 pages,  leaves of plates, (1 folded) : illustrations, maps ; 28 cm (4to)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsE162 .C58 1769+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Dedication signed: The American traveller; variant: the dedication is unsigned and a holograph signature "Alexr. Cluny" inserted.
Map has title: A map of North & South America, with part of Europe, Asia & Africa. By the American traveller. T. Jefferys sculpt.
Signatures: [A]⁴ B-Q⁴ R¹.
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discover to the present time, 13796
English Short Title Catalogue, T12259
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary blue paper wrappers; edges untrimmed. Inscribed: Alexander Cluny begs Lord Clive acceptance of this first part of his American traveller ... 14 Decr 1769.
- Subject Terms:
- America -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.America.British colonies.Canada -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Canada.Clive, Lord -- Presentation inscription from Alexander Cluny, 14 December 1769.Cluny, Alexander -- Presentation inscription to Lord Clive, 14 December 1769.Commerce.Great Britain -- Colonies -- America -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Colonies -- Commerce -- America -- Early works to 1800.Hudson's Bay Company -- Early works to 1800.Hudson's Bay Company.Tobacco industry -- Maryland -- Early works to 1800.Tobacco industry -- Virginia -- Early works to 1800.Travel.United States -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.United States.World maps -- Early works to 1800.World maps.
- Early works.
Engravings -- 1769.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.