Le beau monde, or, Literary & fashionable magazine.
- Additional Title(s):
Literary & fashionable magazine
Literary and fashionable magazine
- London : Printed by and for J. B. Bell and Company, numbers 11, Catherine Street, Strand, [1807-1809]
- Physical Description:
- 5 volumes : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsAP4 .B3 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsAP4 .B3 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- With index at end of each volume.
With engraved illustrations.
The imprint of volumes II-IV reads: "London : Printed by & for J.B. Bell & J. Decamp, at the Office of the National Register, 11, Catherine St., Strand."
Each volume has continuous pagination and signatures.
Description based on: Vol. I (from Novr. 1, 1806 to July 1, 1807); title from title page.
Latest volume consulted: Vol. V.
Vols. 2-3 include supplements (constituting numbers 16 and numbers 24?).
Vol. 3 includes Jan.-July 1808 but index covers "January 1 to July 1, 1808."
Vol. 4 t.p. gives Aug.-Dec. 1808, but volume includes also July 1808 and Jan. 1809; and, index covers "from July 1808-January 1809." (July 1808 in volume 4 includes fashion illustration missing from July 1808 in volume 3).
Individual issues have designations: The first number (November, 1806)-The thirtieth number (January, 1809) = No. I, Vol. I-No. XXX, Vol. IV -- Novel series (February, 1809)-Novel series (April, 1809) = Vol. V, No. XXXI-Vol. V, No. XXXIII.
Reissue. Originally published monthly as: Le beau monde, or, Literary and fashionable magazine -- [London], J.B. Bell, and Company, 1806-1809.
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is complete. Bound in quarter black roan (?) and marbled boards. Bookplate: De la bibliothèque Louis Becker, Paris.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in quarter calf (volume I) or quarter red leather (volume III and IV). Bookplate: De la bibliothèque Louis Becker, Paris.
- Subject Terms:
- Becker, Louis -- Bookplate.Clothing and dress -- Great Britain -- Periodicals.English literature -- Book reviews -- Periodicals.Fashion -- Great Britain -- Periodicals.Great Britain -- Civilization -- Periodicals.
- Periodicals -- Great Britain -- 19th century.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1806-1809.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.