Surtees, Robert Smith, 1805-1864, Jorrocks's jaunts and jollities , 1843
- Jorrocks's jaunts and jollities : being the hunting, shooting, racing, driving, sailing, eating, eccentric and extravagant exploits of that renowned sporting citizen, Mr. John Jorrocks ... / with fifteen coloured illustrations by Henry Alken.
- 2nd ed.
- London : Rudolph Ackermann, Eclipse sporting gallery, 191, Regent street, 1843.
- Physical Description:
- 2 p.l., [iii]-vi, , 358 p., 1 l. 14 col. pl. : (incl. front.) ; 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSporting 2181Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Podeschi, J.B. Books on the horse and horsemanship, 173
BEIN Jn18 407t Copy 1: 8 p. of advertisements at end, titled on p. : "A catalogue of sporting and fine prints". Original green cloth binding.
BEIN Jn18 407t: Variant copy. 8 p. of advertisements at end, titled on p. : "Sporting works published by Rudolph Ackermann". Original light brown cloth binding.
BAC: British Art Center copy: Second edition. Fine diaper-grain greyish-green cloth; gold lettering on front cover and spine, pictorial stamping of gold vignette on front cover and spine, blind stamped on front and back covers, all edges gilt. Spine height: 8 1/4 inches. Dark green quarter morocco, and light green cloth slip-case; gold lettering on spine. Frontispiece, pictorial title-page, title-page, 14 plates of hand-colored aquatints, 1 plate of a hand-colored etching, publisher's ads. Plates, illustrations and etchings by Henry Alken. Spine height: 9 inches. Note: Although this is the second edition, it is the first edition to be illustrated by Alken.
Added t.-p. engraved, illustrated in colors.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.