Great British drawings / Colin Harrison with Caroline Palmer, Katherine Wodehouse & Harry Dickinson ; essays by Susan Owens & Timothy Wilcox.
- Oxford : Ashmolean Museum, 2015.
- Physical Description:
- 336 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), portraits ; 28 cm
- Reference LibraryNC228 A742 2015 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Non-Yale users must make an appointment to use the Reference Library. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Published to accompany the exhibition of the same name held at the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, March 26, 2015-August 31, 2015.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 326-329) and index.
The Ashmolean Museum's collection of British drawings and watercolours is undoubtedly one of the richest in the world. Over 130 works are discussed here in this fully illustrated catalogue, including a dozen works loaned from private collections. Many of these works have never previously been published or exhibited. The full richness of the Ashmolean's collection is reflected here with drawings from the mid-seventeenth century through to the present day. Works by renowned masters including Rowlandson, Gainsborough, Blake, Palmer, Girtin, J. M. W. Turner, Edward Lear, Ruskin, and the Pre-Raphaelites feature, together with works from the twentieth century including Augustus John, Paul Nash, Walter Sickert and the Camden Town Group, Eric Kennington, Eric Ravilious, Ben Nicholson, Graham Sutherland, Wyndham Lewis, Ronald Searle, Gerald Scarfe, and David Hockney. Great British Drawings reveals the full breadth of achievement and inventiveness of British artists in all drawing media, from pencil, to pen and ink, to watercolour, as well as the fascinating history of British art over the course over three and a half centuries.
- Subject Terms:
- Ashmolean Museum -- Exhibitions.Ashmolean Museum.Drawing -- Great Britain -- Exhibitions.Drawing, British -- History -- Exhibitions.Drawing, British.Drawing.Great Britain.
- Exhibition catalogs.
YCBA Collections Search
Ashmolean Museum, Great British drawings , 2015