Webber, Catherine Mary, 1831-1900, Geology familiarly illustrated , 1859
Geology familiarly illustrated / by C.M.W.
- London : Printed and published by J.B. Goodinge, 21, Aldersgate Street, 1859.
- Physical Description:
- 31 images on 8 joined sheets : hand-colored lithographs ; sheets end-to-end 14 x 305 cm, accordion folded to 14 x 15 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQE31 .W43 1859Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- A semi-continuous series of images depicting geological strata, named, together with humorous visual puns on the geological names. "Oolite formation," for example, depicts a stratum of oolite, underneath a depiction of a woman whose dress has caught fire; "trap" depicts a geological trap, beneath the image of an unlucky hunter with foot ensnared in a leghold trap; "extensive denudation" depicts a stratum of Kentish rag, beneath the image of a man at the barber with denuded head.
At foot of plate 1: "Drawn by C.M. Webber."
Title from publisher's original printed label on front cover.
Imprint from publisher's printed label on rear pastedown.
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 607
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. In publisher's original decorative cloth folder, with printed label on front cover.
- Subject Terms:
- Caricatures and cartoon -- Great Britain.Geology -- Popular works.Goodinge, J. B. -- Publisher.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- Humor.Wit and humor, Pictorial.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1820.
Panoramas -- England.
Puns (Visual works)
Accordion fold format (Binding)
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.