British silver : State Hermitage Museum catalogue / Marina Lopato ; translated from the Russian by Catherine Phillips.
- Additional Title(s):
Britanskoe serebro. English
- New Haven : Published for the Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art by Yale University Press, 2015.
- Physical Description:
- ix, 362 pages : illustrations ; 31 cm
- Reference LibraryNK7143 .G6713 2015 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -349) and indexes.
"Despite its comparatively small size--just over 370 items, dating mainly from the 18th century--the collection of British silver in the Hermitage is renowned for its variety and quality. Over the course of the 18th and 19th centuries, the introduction of European dining habits and Russian Anglophilia contributed to the acquisition of large quantities of British silver. Most of the pieces were functional rather than decorative, such as dinner or toilet services specially commissioned by members of the imperial family and the aristocracy. Marking the 250th anniversary of the State Hermitage Museum, this catalogue offers a grand presentation of these glorious silver items, supported by new research and documents. In her introduction, Marina Lopato details the complexities of Russian and Hermitage history to set the scene for the objects. Sumptuous illustrations showcase the exceptional nature of the Hermitage's British silver, most evident in four monumental wine coolers that are among the best known pieces of British silver anywhere in the world. "-- Provided by publisher.
- Subject Terms:
- Gosudarstvennyĭ Ėrmitazh (Russia) -- Catalogs.Silverwork -- Great Britain -- Catalogs.Silverwork -- Russia (Federation) -- Saint Petersburg -- Catalogs.
YCBA Collections Search
Gosudarstvennyĭ Ėrmitazh (Russia), British silver , 2015