IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Williamson, Thomas, Captain, Foreign field sports, fisheries, sporting anecdotes, &c. &c. , 1814
Foreign field sports, fisheries, sporting anecdotes, &c. &c. / from drawings by Messrs. Howitt, Atkinson, Clark, Manskirch, &c. ; containing one hundred plates ; with a supplement of New South Wales.
- London : Published and sold by Edward Orme ... Bond Street, corner of Brook Street. Printed by J.F. Dove, no. 22, St. John's Square, Clerkenwell, 1814.
- Physical Description:
-  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSK261 .F67 1814+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsSK261 .F67 1814+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 2
Attributed by Abbey to Captain Thomas Williamson. Halkett & Laing attributes authorship to John Lawrence.
Aquatint engravings by Matthew Dubourg, Henri Merke, and Thomas Sutherland ; after John Augustus Atkinson, John Heaviside Clark, Samuel Howitt, and Franz Joseph Manskirch
The supplement ( p. and 10 pl., at end) has a separate title page: Field sports, &c. &c. of the native inhabitants of New South Wales; with ten plates, by the author ... London, 1813. This was originally issued as a separate publication.
BEIN Jn66 050 Copy 2: Imperfect: the 2 prelim. leaves of the supplement are wanting.
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Has additional copies of the supplement's title leaf and dedication leaf bound in at front. Bound in contemporary blue straight-grained. Plates are hand-colored. Copy 2 bound in blind- and gilt-tooled red morocco. Plates are not colored.
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, 224
Hardie, M. English coloured books, p. 136-137
Prideaux, S.T. Aquatint engraving, p. 283, 357
Schwerdt, C.F.G.R. Hunting, hawking, shooting, I, p. 177-179
Halkett, S. Dictionary of anonymous and pseudonymous publications in the English language (3rd ed.), v. 2, p. 310
100 plates illustrating tales of sporting and hunting. The supplement on New South Wales includes an additional 10 plates.
- Subject Terms:
- Aboriginal Australians -- Food.Aboriginal Australians -- Hunting.Aboriginal Australians -- Pictorial works.Aboriginal Australians -- Social life and customs.Dove, J.F. -- Printer.Hunting -- Australia.Hunting.Martial arts.Orme, Edward -- Publisher.Sporting -- Anecdotes, facetiae, satire, etc.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1814.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.