Illustrations to the novels of Walter Scott, 1830s?
- Illustrations to the novels of Walter Scott.
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes (108 drawings) : watercolors ; drawings each approximately 8.5 x 11 cm, in volumes 19 x 25 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR5329 .M37 1830+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Unpublished watercolors depicting scenes from the novels of Walter Scott, commissioned by the noted print collector Edward Wenman Martin (1778-1853). The artist is unidentified. Martin notes: "The collection of drawings was done for me expressly & under my direction. No other exists. There may be a few duplicates of some, as I had such I did not deem sufficiently good, or well portraid to be done again in a somewhat different way and alterations made & when done I selected those I preferred in execution ... The artist is dead, consequently no more can be had. He died within a few weeks, after completing the set, from Waverley to Castle Dangerous, 27 tales in all ..." (note in graphite, front pastedown, vol. 2). A manuscript list of the illustrations, with cross-references to volumes and pages (presumably in a set of Scott's novels) was loosely inserted at the end of vol. 2; it is now removed to an accompanying folder.
All of the illustrations are executed in watercolor and gouache on card, within a pen-and-wash border, annotated and captioned in graphite ("which can only be viewed by day in proper light"), copied out again below in ink. Each card is mounted to the green paper leaves of the album. There is also an engraving of Scott by Henry Robinson, after J.W. Gordon (London, Fisher, 1836) pasted to the front pastedown of volume 1. A stipple engraving of Edward Wenman Martin is tipped in at the beginning of each volume, with armorial bookplate of William Sankey on the facing page.
Edward Weman Martin was a notable collector of prints, a specialist in British history and portraits. His collections were distributed in sales at Sotheby's, 1853-1854.
Bound in contemporary blue morocco, ornately stamped in blind, upper boards lettered "Scott's Illustrations."
- Subject Terms:
- Martin, Edward Winman, 1778-1853.Sankey, William -- Bookplate.Scott, Walter, 1771-1832 -- Illustrations.Scott, Walter, 1771-1832. Waverley novels -- Illustrations.
Engravings -- 1836.
Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.