Album of cartes-de-visite, some depicting British royalty, between 1865 and 1885?
Album of cartes-de-visite, some depicting British royalty.
- Additional Title(s):
- between 1865 and 1885?
- Physical Description:
- 1 album (50 photographs) ; 16 x 13 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTR680 .A53 1865aYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The purpose-made album was issued by Roberts Brothers, Boston (Massachusetts), with their imprint on the title leaf ("Photographs"). Bound in leather with deep blind-stamping, tooling to spine, gilt edges, satin endpapers, and two decorated brass clasps.
Album of 50 cartes-de-visite, some depicting British royals, including Queen Victoria, Edward VII, and Princess Louise, as well as some famous writers. The photographs are mostly albumen prints. Each is inserted behind arched window mounts, on the rectos and versos of 25 thick gilt-edged leaves. The compiler is not identified; the front fly-leaf is signed in graphite: "T. Bassett, Jany 22/66."
Individuals depicted include Queen Victoria and her issue, Princess Louise (Duchess of Argyll), Alfred (Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha), Alexandra of Denmark, and Albert Edward, Prince of Wales (Edward VII). Further research may prove to authenticate other photographs as those of Princess Beatrice as a young girl, Princess Alice of the United Kingdom, Mary Adelaide (Princess, Duchess of Teck), Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrovna of Russia, Princess Helena Frederica of Waldeck-Pyrmont, or others. Also present is a carte-de-visite of Tom Hood (1835-1874), English humorist and playwright, and son of the poet and author Thomas Hood. There is also at least one depiction of Caroline Elizabeth Sarah Norton (1808-1877), English feminist, social reformer, author and first woman to petition for a divorce.
- Subject Terms:
- Alexandra, Queen, consort of Edward VII, King of Great Britain, 1844-1925 -- Portraits.Edward VII, King of Great Britain, 1841-1910 -- Portraits.Great Britain -- Kings and rulers -- Portraits.Hood, Tom, 1835-1874 -- Portraits.Louise, Princess, Duchess of Argyll, 1848-1939 -- Portraits.Norton, Caroline Sheridan, 1808-1877 -- Portraits.Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Alfred, Duke of, 1844-1900 -- Portraits.Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1819-1901 -- Portraits.
- Cartes-de-visite (card photographs)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.