Willis, William, 1841-1923, Willis's pencillings in Warwickshire, 
Willis's pencillings in Warwickshire.
- Additional Title(s):
Pencillings in Warwickshire.
- [Bromley?, Kent] : [William Willis], 
- Physical Description:
- 1 volume (38 photographs) : platinum prints ; images 6 x 9 cm, in album 16 x 21 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.W3 W5 1881Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Visual Materials
- Cover title.
William Willis produced three Pencillings books: the present title, and volumes for Wales and Kent, all produced ca. 1881.
The platinotype process "was patented by William Willis (1841-1923) in 1873. Paper coated with iron and platinum salts was exposed to light under a negative. When the paper was washed with a potassium oxalate solution, an image was formed of finely divided platinum metal. Few photographers attempted to make up their own platinotype paper, and in 1879 the Platinotype Company was set up to market the process ..."--Oxford Art Online.
"The pictures in this book are photographic reproductions of drawings printed in platinotype and subsequently retouched with crayon by the artist. The original drawings were executed with black lead and chalk pencils in the years 1879-80 by W. Willis. Bromley, Kent, July 1881."--Note in pen and ink at front of the album.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's (?) quarter black roan and black pebble grain cloth; title stamped in gilt on front cover. Inscribed: John Bright, from Richard [illegible], 11.16.1881.
- Subject Terms:
- Bright, John -- Autograph.Kenilworth (England) -- Pictorial works.Landscapes -- England -- Warwickshire.Maxstoke (England) -- Pictorial works.Stratford-upon-Avon (England) -- Pictorial works.Sutton Park (Sutton Coldfield, England) -- Pictorial works.Tamworth (England) -- Pictorial works.Warwickshire (England) -- Pictorial works.
- Platinum prints -- 19th century.
- Stratford on Avon [five images]
- Helnley Street, Stratford on Avon
- Grammar school, Stratford on Avon
- Ann Hathaway's cottage, Stratford on Avon --Site of New Place, Stratford on Avon
- Kenilworth Castle
- Kenilworth [seven images]
- Meriden Cross
- New Hampton
- Maxstoke Priory
- Maxstoke Castle
- In Maxstoke Park
- Coleshill [two images]
- Sutton Park [six images]
- Tamworth [two images]
- Tamworth Castle [three images]
- Tamworth Moat.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.