Wallis, J. (John), -1818, Wallis's tour of Europe , March 13th, 1811
- Wallis's tour of Europe : a new geographical pastime / McIntyre sculpsit.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Tour of Europe
Title on publisher's original illustrated slipcase: Wallis's new geographical game exhibiting a tour through Europe
New geographical game exhibiting a tour through Europe
Title of accompanying booklet: Wallis's Tour through Europe: a new geographical game
Tour through Europe: a new geographical game
- London : Published ... by John Wallis at his Map Warehouse No. 13 Warwick Square, March 13th, 1811.
- Physical Description:
- 1 game : coloured, mounted on linen ; 46 x 50 cm, folded to 17 x 13 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1485 .W35 1811Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Scale approximately 1:12,659,328. -- (W 5°--E 90°/N 80°--N 25°).
- Relief shown pictorially.
Issued, originally, as part of board game, dissected into 12 pieces, mounted on linen, with slipcase (18.5 x 13.3 cm) with title and imprint: Wallis's new geographical game exhibiting a tour through Europe. Published by Edwd. Wallis, 42 Skiner Street, London.
Accompanied by booklet, 24 pages: "Wallis's Tour through Europe: a new geographical game. London : Published ... by E. Wallis, 42, Skinner-Street, Snow-Hill. Printed by G. Findlay ..." The booklet includes directions for the game, page , and brief descriptions of the 102 destinations forming the game.
Shows European countries in different colours, with cities or other "destinations" numbered, starting with no. 1, Harwich, through Europe, finishing with no. 102, London.
First published by John Wallis in 1794.
Whitehouse, F.R.B. Table games of Georgian and Victorian days (revised 2nd ed.), p. 9
BAC: British Art Center copy includes original illustrated slipcase.
- Subject Terms:
- Educational games.Europe -- Maps.Geographical recreations -- Specimens.
- Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1811.
Maps -- Europe.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.