Alken, Henry Thomas, 1784-1851, Involuntary thoughts, 1823-1824
- Involuntary thoughts.
- London : Published by Thos. McLean, 1823-1824.
- Physical Description:
-  leaves of plates : col. ill. ; 27 x 37 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 57 Copy 3Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Without title page. Title and imprint appear on each plate.
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1973 ed.), 39
Siltzer, F. Story of British sporting prints (2nd ed), p. 72
Van Devanter, W. Checklist of books illustrated by Henry Alken, 44
BAC: British Art Center copy is part of a compilation of titles by Henry Alken issued by his publisher T. McLean. Spine title: British sportsman's vade mecum. Plates mounted two-to-a-page.
- May temptation never conquer virture &c. -- Involuntary bondage &c. -- Wanted an housekeeper to a single gentleman &c. -- A man of some weight in the parish &c. -- More friends, and less need of them &c. -- A water party very dry &c. -- May we never want a friend and a bottle to give him &c. -- May we never feel want or want feeling &c.
- Subject Terms:
- English wit and humor, Pictorial.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.McLean, Thos. -- Publisher.Regency -- England.Satire, English.
- Soft-ground etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1821.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.