The national sports of Great Britain / by Henry Alken ; fifty engravings, with descriptions.
- Additional Title(s):
Alken's Sports of Great Britain
Sports of Great Britain
- London : Printed for Thomas M'Lean, Haymarket, by Howlett and Brimmer, 10, Frith Street, Soho, 1825.
- Physical Description:
- vi p.,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNE960 .A4 1825+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- A different collection from the one published under the same title in 1821, in folio.
Publisher's printed spine label: Alken's Sports of Great Britain. Fifty Coloured Plates. Price three guineas.
Plates have imprint date of 1824.
Podeschi, J.B. Horse and horsemanship, 121
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, p. 36-37
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1973 ed.), 43
Van Devanter, W. Checklist of books illlustrated by Henry Alken, 45
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in dark red striated half morocco, and marbled boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Fox hunting -- Great Britain.Horse racing -- Great Britain.Howlett and Brimmer -- Printer.Hunting -- Great Britain.M'Lean, Thomas -- Publisher.Sports -- Great Britain.
- Soft-ground etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1825.
YCBA Collections Search
Alken, Henry Thomas, 1784-1851, The national sports of Great Britain , 1825
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.