The American military pocket atlas , 
- The American military pocket atlas : being an approved collection of correct maps, both general and particular, of the British colonies ; especially those which now are, or probably may be the theatre of war : taken principally from the actual surveys and judicious observations of Engineers de Brahm and Romans ; Cook, Jackson, and Collet ; Maj. Holland, and other officers, employed in His Majesty's fleets and armies.
- London : Printed for R. Sayer and J. Bennet, Map and Print-Sellers, (No. 53) Fleet-street, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 atlas (, vi-viii,  pages,  folded leaves of plates) : maps ; 23 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG1105 .R5 1776Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View a selection of digital images in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scales differ.
- Two states noted: in one, there is a colon after "London" in the imprint; in the other, the colon is lacking.
Signatures: [A]⁴ chi1 ([A]2 and chi1 versos blank).
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 1147
List of geographical atlases in the Library of Congress, 1206
LC Maps of North America, 1750-1789, 143, 714, 1073, 1396, 1697
BAC: British Art Center copy lacks colon in the imprint. Bound in contemporary quarter calf and marbled boards. Armorial bookplate: John Smith.
BEIN Atlas Coll. G1105 R64 1776 (LC): Imperfect: some maps torn along folds, with no loss of text. Variant with colon lacking in imprint.
- Contents (from individual maps): 1. North America, as divided amongst the European powers / by Samuel Dunn ... (1774, 31 x 45 cm) -- 2. A compleat map of the West Indies, containing the coasts of Florida, Louisiana, New Spain, and terra firma : with all the islands / by Samuel Dunn ... (1774, 40 x 45 cm) -- 3. A general map of the northern British colonies in America, which comprehends the province of Quebec, the government of Newfoundland, Nova-Scotia, New-England and New-York ... (1776, 48 x 66 cm) -- 4. A general map of middle British colonies, in America, containing Virginia, Maryland, the Delaware counties, Pennsylvania and New Jersey : with the addition of New York, and of the greatest part of New England ...(1776, 48 x 65 cm.) -- 5. A general map of the southern British colonies in America, comprehending North and South Carolina, Georgia, East and West Florida, with the neighbouring Indian countries ... / by B. Romans (1776, 50 x 64 cm) -- 6. Brassier, W.A survey of Lake Champlain, including Lake George, Crown Point and St. John ... / by William Brassier, draughtsman (1762, 65 x 48 cm).
- Subject Terms:
- North America -- Maps -- To 1900.United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 -- Maps.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1776.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.