- London : Printed for the author by Thomas Davison, Whitefriars, 1805.
- Physical Description:
- 3 v. : ill. ; 34 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSK31 .D36 1805+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsSK31 .D36 1805+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Each volume with an added engraved title page; the added engraved title page in volume one reads: Rural sports, by the Rev. Wm. B. Daniel ... Printed for the author, and published by I. White, Fleet Street, 1805.
The engraved title of v. 2 has imprint: Published ... March 1802 by Bunny and Gold, Shoe Lane; v. 3: Published ... 1805 by W.B. Daniel.
Most plates unsigned. Some are by Thomas Landseer and John Scott; after George Garrard, Sawry Gilpin and Stephen Elmer.
Schwerdt, C.F.G.R. Hunting, hawking, shooting, I, pp. 133-4
Podeschi, J.B. Books on the horse and horsemanship, 83
BEIN Uzn25 +805d Copy 1: 1 pl. wanting.
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 bound in gilt-tooled striated green morocco. Most of the plates are hand-colored. Armorial bookplate: Westport House. The supplement (1813), with similar provenance, is cataloged separately (SK31 .D86 1813+ Copy 1).
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in later gilt-tooled red morocco, by Zaehnsdorf, 1913. Extra illustrated with about 70 additional plates, collected by Sir Thomas Brocklebank, with typed notes tipped in at the front of each volume, describing Brocklebank's copy. Bookplate: Harry Worcester Smith. Brocklebank's and Smith's copy of the supplement (1813) to the present work is cataloged separately (SK31 .D86 1813+ Copy 2). Accompanied by is a typescript "List of illustrations in the volumes and the further illustrations by the care of Sir Thomas Brocklebank, arranged for the library at Lordvale, the property of Harry Worcester Smith, Esq.)
- Subject Terms:
- Brocklebank, Thomas, Sir -- Provenance.Bunny and Gold -- Publisher.Daniel, W.B. -- Publisher.Davison, Thomas -- Printer.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1805.Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1805.Falconry -- Great Britain.Fishing -- Great Britain.Fowling -- Great Britain.Game laws -- Great Britain.Hunting -- Great Britain.Sligo, Marquess of -- Bookplate.Smith, Harry Worcester -- Bookplate.Sports -- Great Britain.Steel engraving -- Specimens -- 1805.Steel engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1805.Westport House -- Bookplate.White, I. -- Publisher.
- Extra-illustrated copies (Provenance)
Aquatints -- 1805.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1805.
- Vol. I. Dog
- Observations on the origin, principles, and policy of the game laws
- Hare hunting
- Abbreviations of the references to law cases
- Vol. II. Fishing and anecdotes respecting the natural history of fish
- Account of rivers in England, Scotland, and Ireland
- Laws relating to fish
- Vol. III. Birds, and sketches from their natural history
- Birds of game described
- Statutes respecting winged game
- Gamekeepers, and laws concerning
- Land birds of sport described
- Water fowl ditto
- Shooting wild fow, directions for
- Laws relating to wild fowl
- Dogs used in shooting described
- Laws respecting dogs
- Pigeon shooting
- Rook shooting
- Ammunition, gun, etc., Rules for choice and management of
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.