Chile : its geography, climate, earthquakes, government, social condition, mineral and agricultural resources, commerce, etc. etc. / by Lieut. J.M. Gilliss ; in two volumes.
- Philadelphia : J.B. Lippincott & Co., 1856.
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes : illustrations, maps, plans, plates ; 30 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQ115 .U5 1856+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Some lithographs signed by William H. Dougal; after John H. Richard. Others after M.C. Gritzner, E.R. Smith, John Mix Stanley and John H. Richard. Lithographs printed by P.S. Duvals & Co. and T. Sinclair.
Maps engraved by Selmar Siegert; after F. Hebst.
33d Cong., 1st sess. House. Ex. doc. no. 121.
Appendices: A. Observations of earthquakes at Santiago and La Serena, from November, 1849, till September 13, 1852; accounts of the earthquakes in April and May, 1851. Tr. from Chile newspapers -- B. Meteorological observations in the province of Atacama -- C. Meteorological observations between New York and Valparaiso, via Panama.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's dark olive blind-stamped cloth.
- Subject Terms:
- Chile -- Description and travel.Chile.Earthquakes -- Chile.Earthquakes.Natural history -- Chile.Travel.
- Lithographs -- 1856.
Chromolithographs -- 1856.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1856.
Engravings -- 1856.
Wood engravings -- 1856.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.