Owens, Susan, Jonathan Richardson by himself , 2015
- Jonathan Richardson by himself / Susan Owens.
- London : Courtauld Gallery, 2015.
- Physical Description:
- 72 pages : illustrations ; 21 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18 R382 O84 2015 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- First published to accompnay the exhibition at The Courtauld Gallery, London, 24 June-20 September 2015.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 71-72).
This publication - which accompanies the first ever exhibition devoted to Richardson's self-portrait drawings, held in the new Gilbert and Ildiko Butler Drawings Gallery at the Courtauld - tells the story of these remarkable works and puts them into the context of his other activities at this period of his life - in particular the self-searching poems he wrote during the same years and often on the same days as he made the drawings. An introductory essay is followed by focused discussions of each work in the exhibition. This part of the book explores the materials and techniques Richardson used, whether working in chalks on a large scale or creating exquisitely refined drawings on vellum. It will also reveal how Richardson modelled some of his portraits on old master prints and drawings, including works in his own collection by Rembrandt and Bernini. The publication brings together the Courtauld Gallery's fine collection of Richardson's drawings with key works in the British Museum, the National Portrait Gallery and the Fitzwilliam Museum. Exhibition: Courtgauld Gallery, London, UK (24.06-20.09.2015).
- Subject Terms:
- Portrait drawing -- 18th century -- Exhibitions.Richardson, Jonathan, 1665-1745 -- Self-portraits -- Exhibitions.Self-portraits, British -- 18th century -- Exhibitions.