Fulton, Robert, 1765-1815, Letters to Edmund Cartwright, September 20, 1797 and February 16, 1798
Letters to Edmund Cartwright.
- Paris, September 20, 1797 and February 16, 1798.
- Physical Description:
- 2 letters (8 pages) ; 24 x 19 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTC744 .F85 1796+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Related Content:
- View the catalog record for the host volume, Fulton's A treatise on the improvement of canal navigation
- Dissertations & Theses
- Bound with Fulton's A treatise on the improvement of canal navigation. London : Published by I. & J. Taylor at the Architectural Library, High Holborn, 1796.
Written in pen and black ink.
Two autograph letters, signed, from Robert Fulton to Edmund Cartwright. Each letter is four pages and written from Paris, addressed to Cartwright at Marylebone Fields, London.
Fulton advises Cartwright to concentrate on his more important projects, such as the "the steam engine, boat moving by steam or cordelier." He believes he can find a market for the cordelier (rope-making machine) and the steam engine in America. Regarding the latter he writes: "The steam engine I hope may be made useful in cutting canals and moving boats, if so it will be directly in my line of business. By the by I have just proved an experiment on moving boats with a fly of 4 parts similar to that of a smoak jack thus [here follows a small diagram of a boat fitted with a propelling device, drawn in the text in Fulton's characteristic manner] I find this applys the power to great advantage and it is extreamly simple, however you may satisfy your mind by a small model giving motion to the flier by a spring of whalebone." There is also an allusion to an invention by "the celebrated Mongolfier who invented the baloons."
- Subject Terms:
- Balloons.Canals.Cartwright, Edmund, 1743-1823 -- Correspondence.Fulton, Robert, 1765-1815 -- Correspondence.Montgolfier, Jacques-Etienne, 1745-1799.Montgolfier, Joseph-Michel, 1740-1810.Steam-engines.Steamboats.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.