England [cartographic material] / by Robt. Morden.
- [London?] : Sold by Abel Swale Awnsham & John Churchil, [1695?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 map ; 36 x 41 cm
- Unable to reach service. Holdings currently not available
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [ca. 1:1,750,000] -- (W 7°00ʹ--E 2°00ʹ/N 56°00ʹ--N 50°20ʹ).
- From Camden's Britannia. London : Printed by F. Collins, for A. Swalle ... and A. & J. Churchil ..., 1695.
Date derived from the earliest atlas in which the map was issued.
Issued in the same state in subsequent editions of the atlas.
Shows boundaries, rivers, roads and settlements.
Relief shown pictorially.
Skelton, R.A. County atlases of the British Isles, 1579-1850, 117
Shirley, R.W. Printed maps of the British Isles, 1650-1750, Morden 10
BAC: British Art Center copy is hand-colored.
"Morden's general map of England is a straightforward depiction of the kingdom with the main post roads marked ... There is less geographical detail than on other contemporary maps, such as Morden and Greene's first map of 1673 or the later Morden and Paske road map of c. 1690 ... There were four later editions of Gibson's edition of the Britannia with Morden's maps: in 1722, c. 1730, 1753 and 1772 ..."--Shirley.
- Subject Terms:
- England -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Wales -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1695.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.