Boxiana, or, Sketches of ancient and modern pugilism ... / by P. Egan.
- Additional Title(s):
Sketches of ancient and modern pugilism
Boxiana, or, Sketches of antient & modern pugilism
Boxiana, or, Sketches of modern pugilism
- London : Printed for Sherwood, Jones, and Co., Paternoster-Row, 1823-1829.
- Physical Description:
- 3 volumes : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1121 .E33 1823Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Volumes 2 and 3 have title: Boxiana, or, Sketches of modern pugilism.
Engravings by T.L. Busby, George Cruikshank, Hopwood, and Percy Roberts; after Robert Cruikshank and George Sharples.
Volume 3 has different imprint: Printed for G. Virtue, 26, Ivy Lane, Paternoster Row, 1829. Printed by G. Duckworth.
"Marchant, printer, Ingram-Court, London."--Volume 1, title page verso.
"G. Duckworth, printer, 76, Fleet-Street."--Volume 3, title page verso.
Includes index in each volume.
BEIN NLn33 823e: Original printed boards, with title: Boxiana ... In five volumes.
BAC: British Art Center copy is a made-up set. Volume 2 (originally published in 1824 with the imprint of Sherwood, Jones, and Co.) is undated, with the imprint of W.M. Clark. Bound in contemporary maroon three-quarter morocco, and maroon cloth. Original wrappers bound in. Bookplate: Henry C. Taylor.
- Subject Terms:
- Boxing -- England -- Biography.Boxing -- England -- History.Boxing matches -- England.Duckworth, G. -- Printer.Marchant -- Printer.Taylor, Henry C. -- Bookplate.
- Engravings -- 1823-1829.
Aquatints -- 1823-1829.
Stipple engravings -- 1823-1829.
- v. 1. From the days of the renowned Broughton and Slack, to the championship of Cribb
- v. 2. From the championship of Cribb to the present time
- v. 3. During the championship of Cribb, to Spring's challenge to all England.