Sporting anecdotes, original and selected : including numerous characteristic portraits of persons in every walk of life, who have acquired notoriety from their achievements on the turf, at the table, and in the diversions of the field : with sketches of various animals of the chase : to which is added, an account of noted pedestrians, trotting-matches, cricketers, &c. : the whole forming a complete delineation of the sporting world / by Pierce Egan.
- A new edition, considerably enlarged and improved.
- London : Printed for Sherwood, Jones, and Co., Paternoster-Row, 1825.
[London] : Marchant, Printer, Ingram-Court, Fenchurch-Street
- Physical Description:
- iv, , 592 pages,  leaves of plates,  folded : illustrations, portraits ; 22 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV173 .E33 1825Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Engravings by Percy Roberts and George Cruikshank; after Robert Cruikshank and George Sharple.
Printer's statement from title page verso.
With a wood-engraved vignette on the title page.
BEIN NL22 820ec: Without the 2 l. of advertisements at end mentioned by Schwerdt. Binding apparently by Gosden.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in full tree calf. Lacks the advertisements at end mentioned by Schwerdt.
- Subject Terms:
- Marchant -- Printer.
- Aquatints -- 1825.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1825.
Stipple engravings -- 1825.
Wood engravings -- 1825.
YCBA Collections Search
Egan, Pierce, 1772-1849, Sporting anecdotes, original and selected , 1825
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.