Lafayette Ltd., Cabinet card portrait of the Princess of Wales, later Queen Alexandra, wearing academic robes, Trinity College, Dublin, 1885, 1885
- Cabinet card portrait of the Princess of Wales, later Queen Alexandra, wearing academic robes, Trinity College, Dublin, 1885.
- Dublin, 1885.
- Physical Description:
- 1 cabinet card : albumen print on card mount ; 17 x 11 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsIn ProcessYale Center for British Art, Gift of Rosemarie Haag Bletter and Martin Filler in memory of Paul Mellon, Yale College, Class of 1929Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "In the spring of 1885 Alexandra, princess of Wales, visited Ireland and was photographed by [Lauder's] studio after receiving an honorary degree [a Doctor of Music at Trinity College, Dublin]. This remarkable image of a princess in a scholarly role caught the public imagination and more than 60,000 prints were sold."--Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, entry for James Stack Lauder (pseud. James Lafayette).
Lafayette's full photograph shows the princess in three-quarter length, holding her certificate scroll. The present derivative is cropped to a half-length portrait.
Printed on mount below photograph: Lafayette, Dublin.
Stamped in blind by William Luks, photograph and print dealer at London.
Printed on verso: Photographer, Lafayette. Late of Paris. Photographer to T.R.H. The Prince & Princess of Wales ... 30, Westmoreland St., Dublin. [In small print at foot:] D. Hutinet, Paris.
BAC: British Art Center copy signed in manuscript on reverse: M.E.D.S.
- Subject Terms:
- Alexandra, Queen, consort of Edward VII, King of Great Britain, 1844-1925 -- Portraits.Great Britain -- Kings and rulers -- Portraits.Trinity College (Dublin, Ireland)
- Albumen prints.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.