Hinton & Lock : toy makers, at the sign of the Orange Tree, the corner of Craborn Alley, in Little Newport Street near Leicester Fields.
- [London] : M. Darly, [not after 1778]
- Physical Description:
- 1 trade card : illustrations ; 26 x 29 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsEph Hg 29Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Trade card for Hinton & Lock, toy makers. Text within engraved illustrated border of Chinese figures, doll, birds and an orange tree.
"All sorts of English and Dutch toys, with all sorts of naked and drest babies, all sorts of combs & comb brushes, tooth, jewellers & plate brushes, fine pin cushion boses & hussifs, silk purses of all sorts & silk garters, watch & cane strings, all sorts of necklaces & ear rings, snuff boxes, pocket books & pocket glasses, watch cases, all sorts of sleeve buttons & buckles, Ivory fish & other sorts, counters of all sorts, cruet frames, coffee mills, black gammon tables, draught beards, men. Dice of all sorts of powderhorns, drinking horns, drenching horns & shoeing horns. drums, battledores, and rackets. powder boxes, powder puffs of all sorts. Fine Poland powder & common powder & all sorts of perfumers. Goods at the lowest prices."
BAC: Verso of trade card with invoice, dated London, April 20, 1778, for one draft board (5"6), one pack of cards (1"6), on snake (1"6), one puff (1"6), one pair of dice (2"6), one pair of boxes (1"2), one goose and snake (1"8), and three "pantains" (1"6). Total price was 17 shillings. Receipt of payment noted as May 26, 1778. "Rd. the full contents M Demonds by me Tho. Hinton."
- Subject Terms:
- Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 18th century.Hinton & Lock.Toy industry -- England -- London -- Early works to 1800.
- Trade cards.
Receipts (financial records)
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.