Hodges, William, 1744-1797, Travels in India during the years 1780, 1781, 1782, & 1783 , 1793
Travels in India during the years 1780, 1781, 1782, & 1783 / by William Hodges, R.A.
- London : Printed for the author, and sold by J. Edwards, Pall-Mall, 1793.
- Physical Description:
- vi, 156,  p.,  leaves of plates ( folded) : ill. map ; 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA412 .H63 1793+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engravings by William Angus, William Byrne, James Fittler, Thomas Medland, Benjamin Thomas Pouncy, William Skelton, Peltro William Tomkins, and John Walker; after William Hodges.
ESTC (RLIN), T87144
Publisher's advertisement:  p. at end.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in gilt-tooled ivory parchment (?). Gilt-tooled edges.
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving -- Specimens -- 1793.Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1793.Hodges, William, 1744-1797, publisher.India -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.India -- History -- Early works to 1800.India -- Social life and customs -- Early works to 1800.
- Travel literature.
- Contents of the plates: A map of part of Bengal and Bahar
- A view of the Great Pagoda at Tanjore
- The pass of Sicri Gully
- A view of the inside of A. Zavanah
- Banyan tree
- Mahommedan women attending the tombs of their parents, relatives or friends art nig
- A peasant woman of Hindostan. A Sepor of Matchlock man
- A column taken from the Temple of Vis Visha at Beneres
- Procession of a Hindoo woman to the funeral pile of her husband
- A view of the palace of Nabob Asoph of Dowlah at Lucknow
- A view of Agra taken from the Southwest
- A woman of Hindostan. Mullah or Musselman Priest
- A view of the fort of Gwalior.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.