The Homeric Hymn to Aphrodite , 1948
- The Homeric Hymn to Aphrodite / a new translation by F.L. Lucas, Fellow of King's College, Cambridge ; with ten engravings by Mark Severin.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Hymn to Aphrodite. English
- London : Printed in Great Britain at the Golden Cockerel Press, 1948.
- Physical Description:
- 35,  pages : illustrations ; 32 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPA4023.H96 H66 1948+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Text in English and Greek.
"Designed, produced, and published by Christopher Sandford at the Golden Cockerel Press, London, in Poliphilus Roman and New Hellenic Greek types on Arnold's mould-made paper. Composition and presswork under the supervision of F.J. Newbery at the Chiswick Press. Compositors: A.G. Douglas and A.W. Dick. Pressman: J. Bierman. The printing was completed on the twenty-second day of April, 1948. The edition is limited to 750 copies. Nos. 1-100 have been specially bound."--Colophon.
Bibliography of the Golden Cockerel Press, 1921-1949, 177
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 25 of 750; signed by F.L. Lucas. One of 100 copies specially bound in gilt-stamped red morocco, by Sangorski & Sutcliffe.
- Subject Terms:
- Aeneas (Legendary character) -- Poetry.Aphrodite (Greek deity) -- In literature.Aphrodite (Greek Deity) -- Poetry.Aphrodite (Greek deity) -- Poetry.Hymn to Aphrodite.Hymns, Greek (Classical) -- Translations into English.Lucas, F.L. -- Autograph.Private press books -- England -- London -- Specimens.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
Wood engravings -- 1948.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.