J. B. Peeters Chopin : Coiffeur : Breveté du Roi pour les Toupets Metallique & inplantés : Magasin de parfumerie, Brosserie, Ganterie, bourses, bretelles, Magasin de jouets d'enfants : Rue St. Jacques No.10 Bruges.
- Bruges : Édouard Daveluy, [1840s?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 trade card ; 17 x 22 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTT957 .D38 1840 BoxYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Archief, Documentatie- en Onderzoekscentrum van het Liberalisme (Ghent, Belgium). Inventaris van de collectie porseleinkaarten, 4314
"The subtle iridescent colours of these 1840s Belgian trade cards, lithographed on porcelain-coated card, were created by metallic dust which was applied when the glue-based printing ink was still wet. When the hazardous nature of the practice (it is said that the dust contained mercury) was realised in the 1860s, production ceased ..."--A Nation of Shopkeepers. (The Bodleian Library : 2001).
Trade card for J.B. Peeters Chopin, hairdresser in Brussels. The card includes illustration depicting inside of store with wigs, toupees, and hair styling aids displayed.
- Subject Terms:
- Belgium -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Hairdressing -- Belgium.J.B. Peeters Chopin.Stores & shops.
- Trade cards.
Porcelain cards (trade cards)
Lithography -- 1840-1849.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.