A catalogue of the curious and extensive library, of the late John North, Esq. : removed from his residence East Acton / they will be sold by auction, by Mr. Evans, at his house, no. 26, Pall-Mall.
- [London] : [Mr. Evans], 
[London] : Printed by W. Bulmer and Co.,
- Physical Description:
- 3 volumes (58 pages, 4 unnumbered pages, 80 pages, 4 unnumbered pages, 38 pages) ; 21 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8640 .N6 v. 30 no. 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Date of sale: March 29-April 6, 1819.
Date of sale: April 19-April 30, 1819.
Date of sale: May 25-28, 1819.
Place of sale: London.
BAC: British Art Center copy is annotated in ink with sale prices and buyer's names for all lots. Number 1 of 2 auction catalogs bound together. The volume bound in contemporary half calf. Armorial bookplate of Baron Northwick.
SML,Y X348 E92 1819/3/29-5/28: Boards detached from text. Partially uncut. Has a few prices in ms., with other ms. notations. Part three has a bound-in ms. note identifying the Kit Kat Club.
SML,Y X348 E92 1819/3/29-5/28: Autograph of E. L. Perceval, Esqr., with financial tallies of purchases at Evans and other ms. notes. Three ms. slips at end. One has address: Mr. Robt. Knell, Shirley Common, near Southampton; a second with address: Mr. R. E. Knell, Wateringbury near Maidstone, Kent. On the verso in ms. is: Committee Room, City of London Tavern, with other jottings; a third slip has a ms. list of lots apparently from the sale, with "Perceval" written on the back in ms. (presumably, this list is part of Perceval's orders to Evans). Third slip cut from a larger ms.
First part auctioned "on Monday, March 29, and eight following days, Sunday excepted"; second part auctioned "on Monday, April 19, and eleven following days, Sunday excepted"; third part auctioned "on Tuesday, May 25, and three following days." Total sold for £12,707.
- Subject Terms:
- Book auctions -- England -- London -- Catalogs.Booksellers' catalogs -- England -- London.Evans, R. H. (Robert Harding), 1777-1857 -- Catalogs.Illumination of books and manuscripts -- Catalogs.North, John -- Library -- Catalogs.Northwick, John Rushout, Baron, 1770-1859 -- Bookplate.Perceval, E. L. -- Autograph.Perceval, E. L. -- Ownership.Prints -- Catalogs.Private libraries -- England -- London -- Catalogs.Rare books -- Catalogs.
- Auction catalogs -- 1819 03 29-05 28.
Auction catalogs -- England -- London -- 1819.
- Part the first. Containing a brilliant assemblage of rare, curious, and splendid books, and books of prints (1497 lots)
- Part the second. Containing a brilliant assemblage of valuable and splendid books, and books of prints (2175 lots)
- Part the third. Containing a collection of fine and splendid books, illuminated manuscripts, old poetry, old plays and scarce tracts. (842 lots).