IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Lawrence, D. H. (David Herbert), 1885-1930, Snake , 2014
Snake / poem by David Herbert Lawrence ; with a translation into French by F.J. Temple ; mezzotints by Judith Rothchild.
- Octon [France] : Verdigris, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- 2 portfolios : illustrations, mezzotints ; 14 x 31 cm ; in case 16 x 32 x 5 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2016 4Yale Center for British Art, acquired with funds from the Bequest of Daniel S. KalkView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- " ... published in the form of a leporello in an edition of fifty. The poem is accompanied with 4 original mezzotints by Judith Rothchild printed on Hahnemülhe paper by the artist. The hand-set letterpress in Ramses maigre was printed on an Adana 8 x 5 by Mark Lintott who also made the slipcases and boxes. Numbers one to ten the 'édition de tête,' are presented in clamshell boxes with an ink wash drawing of a boa skin by Judith Rothchild. The first four also include one of the original copper plates. Numbers 11 to 50 are presented in slipcases. Number 50 is reserved for the Bibliothèque Nationale de France. All the books are numbered and signed on the colophon."--Colophon.
The model for the mezzotints is the Couleuvre de Montpellier snake (Malpolon monspessulanus).
Contains two portfolios: first portfolio is one uncut sheet accordion folded into 19 unnumbered pages; second portfolio contains one folded ink wash drawing of a boa skin, signed by the artist in graphite.
First portfolio bound in tan snake-skin textured cover over grey cloth with black-stamped word "snake" at center and lettering along spine; additional grey board within, with blind-stamped word "snake" at center pasted to folded sheet which is pasted to rear board of first portfolio. Second portfolio bound in gray paper over gray cloth boards with black-stamped words "snake lavis de Judith Rothchold" at center. Clamshell case bound in tan snake-skin textured cover on front and spine, and dark green textured snake skin cover on rear, over grey cloth with black-stamped word "snake" at center and lettering along spine.
"Achevé d'imprimeur le 8-12-2014."--Colophon.
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 4 of 50. Includes the ink wash drawing of a boa skin by Judith Rothchild and one of the original copper plates, the latter enclosed within a pocket on the interior of the clamshell case.
- Subject Terms:
- Copperplates -- Specimens.Malpolon monspessulanus.Snakes -- Poetry.Women in natural history.
- Livres d'artistes.
Artists' books -- Great Britain.
Accordion fold format (Binding)
Mezzotints -- 2014.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.