George Cruikshank's omnibus : illustrated with one hundred engravings on steel and wood ... / edited by Laman Blanchard, Esq.
- London : Tilt and Bogue, 1842.
- Physical Description:
- , vi, , 300 p.,  leaves of plates : ill., ports. ; 24 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC1479.C78 A4 1842 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Gloria ScheuerAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC1479.C78 A4 1842 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Gloria ScheuerAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsND1479.C78 A4 1841 Copy 3Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN In T325 842: Depew Collection. Original green cloth covers bound in. Blue levant morocco binding, gold stamp, inside gold dentelle, top edges gilt, by Rivière.
BEIN Jn18 210: Half-title and pp. i-ii and [3-4] of preliminary matter, lacking. Without original covers.
Engraved portrait of Cruikshank by Charles Edward Wagstaff.
First ed. in book form.
"First issued in nine monthly parts from May 1841 to January 1842. The bound volumes were first issued in green and subsequently in red cloth."--Cohn.
Cohn, A.M. George Cruikshank, 190
Contains "Little Spitz" and "The king of Brentford's testament' by Michael Angelo Titmarsh [pseud. of Thackeray].
BAC: British Art Center has three copies. Copy 1 bound in publisher's original gilt-stamped green cloth. Leather bookplate of Barton Currie. Copy 2 bound in half red morocco with marbled boards. Two newspaper columns about Cruikshank affixed to verso of preliminary endpaper.
BAC: British Art Center copy 3 in the 9 original parts; bound in publisher's illustrated paper wrappers. Bookplate: J. Barton Townsend. Laid in no. I is a sheet from the advertisements to "Ainsworth's Magazine" on which is a woodcut by George Cruikshank, advertising "The Omnibus." Wrapper of no. II has the illustrations partly colored, evidently as an experiment on the part of George Cruikshank to see how the colored cover would go. No. III is a presentation copy to Mr. Upcott, inscribed: Upcott Esq. with the regards of Geo. Cruikshank.
- Subject Terms:
- Caricatures and cartoons -- Great Britain.Cruikshank, Geo. -- Pres. insc. to Upcott, Esq. (BACRB Copy 3)Currie, Barton -- Bookplate (BACRB Copy 1)Depew Collection.English wit and humor, Pictorial.Satire, English.Scheuer, Gloria -- Provenance.Upcott, Esq. -- Pres. insc. from Geo. Cruikshank. (BACRB Copy 3)
- Wood engravings -- 1842.
Steel engravings -- 1842.
Stipple engravings -- 1842.
YCBA Collections Search
Cruikshank, George, 1792-1878, George Cruikshank's omnibus , 1842
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.