A voyage of discovery to the North Pacific ocean, and round the world : in which the coast of north-west America has been carefully examined and accurately surveyed, undertaken by His Majesty's command, principally with a view to ascertain the existence of any navigable communication between the North Pacific and North Atlantic oceans and performed in the years 1790, 1791, 1792, 1793, 1794, and 1795, in the Discovery sloop of war, and armed tender Chatham, under the command of Captain George Vancouver.
- London : Printed for G. G. and J. Robinson, Paternoster-Row and J. Edwards, Pall-Mall, 1798.
- Physical Description:
- 3 volumes : illustrations, maps ; 31 x 24 cm (4to) + 1 atlas ( leaves of plates (6 folded) : illustrations, maps ; 46 cm (folio))
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2018 37Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- BEIN Ecd +790V: Imperfect: atlas wanting. Two additional plates (1 folded) inserted in v. 1. Illegible autograph on front free endpaper of volume 1.
BEIN Zc70 +798v Copy 2: Original boards uncut.
SML,FRA 551 +1798v: Explanation of plates in v. 2-3 wanting.
Edited by J. Vancouver.
Vol. 1: , xxix, , 432 p., I-VII leaves of plates; v. 2: , 504 p., VIII-XI, XVIII leaves of plates; v. 3: , 505,  p., XII-XVII leaves of plates.
Signatures: v. 1: pi⁴ a-d⁴ A² chi1 B-3I⁴; v. 2: pi² A² chi1 B-3S⁴; v. 3: pi² A² chi1 B-3S⁴ [3T]².
"A list of the plates contained in the ... volume ..." inserted after the "Contents" in each volume ("A list of the plates contained in the folio volume" on verso of inserted leaf in v. 1).
Errata: v. 3, p. -.
List of geographical atlases in the Library of Congress, 197
List of geographical atlases in the Library of Congress, 1218
Howes, W. U.S.iana, 1650-1950 (1962 edition), V23
Parke-Bernet Galleries. Celebrated collection of Americana formed by the late Thomas Winthrop Streeter, 3497
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 98443
Cowan, R.E. Bibliography of the history of California, 1510-1930 II, p. 655
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary blue-gray boards, with publisher's printed spine labels. Armorial bookplate: "Spare Nought."
- Subject Terms:
- Chatham (Ship)Discovery (Ship : Launched 1789)Northwest Coast of North America -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Northwest Coast of North America -- Discovery and exploration -- British.Northwest Passage -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Northwest Passage -- Discovery and exploration -- British.Vancouver, George, 1757-1798 -- Travel.Voyages around the world -- Early works to 1800.
- Exploration literature.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
Engravings -- 1798.
YCBA Collections Search
Vancouver, George, 1757-1798, A voyage of discovery to the North Pacific ocean, and round the world , 1798
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.