The compleat gamester: or, Instructions how to play at billiards, trucks, bowls, and chess : together with all manner of usual and most gentile games either on cards, or dice : to which is added, the arts and mysteries of riding, racing, archery, and cock-fighting.
- The second edition.
- London : Printed for Henry Brome at the Gun at the West-end of St. Pauls, 1680.
- Physical Description:
- , 175,  p. : ill. ; 16 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1201 .C68 1680Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN NLp50 674cc: Frontispiece supplied and repaired.
Anonymous. By Charles Cotton. Cf. Halkett & Laing (2nd ed.).
Leaf A1r blank. Leaf A1v bears "The explanation of the frontispiece". Engraved frontispiece on leaf A2v. T.p. is leaf A3.
Wing (2nd ed., 1994), C6384
BAC: Copy bound in gilt tooled red morocco; text block edges gilded. Gilt tooled red leather bookplate of Alfred Barmore Maclay on inside of upper board.
- Subject Terms:
- Billiards -- Early works to 1800.Brome, Henry -- Publisher.Card games -- Early works to 1800.Chess -- Early works to 1800.Cockfighting -- Early works to 1800.Gambling -- Early works to 1800.Games -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 17th century -- Early works to 1800.Horse racing -- Early works to 1800.Maclay, Alfred Barmore -- Bookplate.Sports -- Early works to 1800.
- Engravings -- 1680.
Woodcuts -- 1680.
YCBA Collections Search
Cotton, Charles, 1630-1687, The compleat gamester: or, Instructions how to play at billiards, trucks, bowls, and chess , 1680
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.