- [Paris?] : [François Simon Giroux?], [approximately 1825?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 écran-panorama ; screen 20 x 22 cm, height 36 cm inclusive of wooden handle
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2016 7Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "[The] 'panorama handscreen' or 'mechanical screen fan' ... was a French invention that appeared in the 1820s, and was sold at shops specializing in optical toys, jewelry, paintings, and fashionable furniture. One of the most famous was Giroux near the Palais-Royal ... Some surviving examples of the panorama handscreen bear the label of Giroux. It identifies the product as écran-panorma and mentions that it has been patented ..."--Huhtamo.
"The écran-panorama has an illustrated cardboard frame with a cutout window, attached to an elegantly turned wooden or ivory handle. A roll of translucent pictures, enclosed in cylindrical containers on both sides of the window, is operated by two knobs. Various designs and subjects are known, which points to a significant volume of production ..."--Huhtamo.
Huhtamo notes copies of the Ermenonville panorama bearing the label of François Simon Giroux.
Huhtamo, E. Illusions in motion, pages 48-49
Écran-panorama (or panorama handscreen) depicting scenes of Ermenonville, France. The nine locations depicted are numerically keyed to an index at the beginning. The panoramic strip consists of hand-colored etchings, affixed end-to-end. The decorative screen, with aquatint engraving, shows similar rural scenery.
- Subject Terms:
- Ermenonville (France) -- Buildings, structures, etc. -- Pictorial works.Ermenonville (Garden : Oise, France) -- Pictorial works.Rousseau, Jean-Jacques, 1712-1778 -- Homes and haunts.
Panoramas -- France -- Ermenonville.
Etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1825.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1825.
- 1. Entrée du village
- 2. Le château (coté du nord)
- 3. Le parc (coté du nord)
- 4. La Tour de Gabrielle
- 5. La maison du garde
- 6. Le Bocage
- 7. L'Etang du désert
- 8. Maison de J.J. Rousseau
- 9. Tombeau de J.J. Rousseau.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.