[Panorama depicting parkland on the outskirts of Paris], [approximately 1825?]
[Panorama depicting parkland on the outskirts of Paris].
- [Paris?] : [François Simon Giroux?], [approximately 1825?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 écran-panorama ; screen 22 x 20 cm, height 37 cm inclusive of wooden handle
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2016 8aYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "[The] 'panorama handscreen' or 'mechanical screen fan' ... was a French invention that appeared in the 1820s, and was sold at shops specializing in optical toys, jewelry, paintings, and fashionable furniture. One of the most famous was Giroux near the Palais-Royal ... Some surviving examples of the panorama handscreen bear the label of Giroux. It identifies the product as écran-panorma and mentions that it has been patented ..."--Huhtamo.
"The écran-panorama has an illustrated cardboard frame with a cutout window, attached to an elegantly turned wooden or ivory handle. A roll of translucent pictures, enclosed in cylindrical containers on both sides of the window, is operated by two knobs. Various designs and subjects are known, which points to a significant volume of production ..."--Huhtamo.
The reverse is blind-stamped with the monogram: J.L.
Huhtamo, E. Illusions in motion, pages 48-49
Écran-panorama (or panorama handscreen) depicting scenes of picturesque parkland on the outskirts of Paris. The scenery includes formal gardens and fountains; the final scene (at far right) appears to depict Paris from afar, with the windmills of Montmartre. This may be the écran-panorama named in Huhtamo as possibly depicting Sèvres (see page 49).
- Subject Terms:
- Paris (France) -- Pictorial works.Sèvres (France) -- Pictorial works.
Panoramas -- France -- Sèvres.
Etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1825.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1825.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.