Bacon Brothers (Cambridge, England), [Original Calverley cigarette packet manufactured by Bacon Brothers of Cambridge England], [approximately 1930]
[Original Calverley cigarette packet manufactured by Bacon Brothers of Cambridge England].
- [Cambridge], [approximately 1930]
- Physical Description:
- 1 cigarette package : illustrations ; 80 x 50 x 20 mm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsHF6161.T6 B34 1930 BoxYale Center for British Art, Gift of George Gregory Smart, Yale BA 1977View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Title supplied by cataloger.
The packet is a 10 size box. Photomechanical image of Calverley on front cover: "Here's to thee, Bacon! (Calverley, 1862)"
"Bacon Bros. Cambridge. Estd. 1805."
Charles Calverley wrote "Ode to tobacco" printed on the back cover the following of which are extracts: "Sweet when the morn is grey : Sweet when they've cleared away Lunch ; and at the close of day possibly sweetest. Cats may have had their goose cooked by tobacco-juice ; Still why deny its use thoughtfully taken? We'e not as tabbies are : Smith, take a fresh cigar! Jones, the tobacco jar! Here's to thee, Bacon!"
- Subject Terms:
- Bacon Brothers (Cambridge, England)Cigarette industry -- Great Britain.Cigarettes.Smoking.
Photomechanical prints -- [approximately 1930]
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.