Gamonia, or, The art of preserving game : and an improved method of making plantations and covers, explained and illustrated / by Lawrence Rawstorne, Esq. ; with fifteen coloured drawings by J.T. [sic] Rawlins, taken on the spot.
- London : Published for the proprietor, by Rudolph Ackermann, Eclipse Sporting Gallery, 191, Regent Street, 1837.
London : Walter Spiers, printer, 399, Oxford Street
- Physical Description:
- xiv, , 18-208 pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSporting 1814Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsSporting 1815Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- All plates are signed: "T.J. Rawlins del. & sc." Aquatint engravers vary: A.W. Reeve, J.H. Banks, H. Guest, and H. Papprill.
Prideaux, S.T. Aquatint engraving, page 348
Schwerdt, C.F.G.R. Hunting, hawking, shooting, volume II, page 127
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, pages 205-206
Errata slip tipped in at end.
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 392
BAC: British Art Center copy: Sporting 1814. First edition. Octavo. Original green morocco; gold tooling on front and back covers, gold lettering on spine, all edges gilt. In green quarter morocco, and green cloth slip-case; gold tooling on front and back covers, gold lettering on spine. Errata slip with manuscript corrections. Color plates after T.J. Rawlins. Presentation copy to C. Houghton from Rawstorne. Spine height: 10 1/8 inches.
BAC: British Art Center Sporting 1815 is the Abbey copy. With presentation inscription on half-title: Mary Barnston, from the author. Bound in contemporary green morocco.
- Subject Terms:
- Barnston, Mary -- Presentation inscription from Lawrence Rawstorne.Game protection.Game reserves.Hunting.Penwortham (England)Rawstorne, Lawrence, 1774-1850 -- Presentation inscription to Mary Barnston.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored.
Authors' presentation inscriptions.
- Plates: Penwortham, with the commencement of a Battue [frontispiece to part I]
- Penwortham, with the conclusion of a Battue [frontispiece to part II]
- Tulketh Hall and town of Preston
- The Vale of Ribble
- The Castle Hill
- The Lower Ridding
- Penwortham Church
- The Round Wood
- Blashaw Dam
- The Crow Wood
- The Hangsman's Bank
- West end of the four-acre
- Howick, from Blashaw Wood
- East end of the four-acre