Observations on the theory and practice of landscape gardening : including some remarks on Grecian and Gothic architecture, collected from various manuscripts, in the possesion of the different noblemen and gentlemen, for whose use they were originally written; the whole tending to establish fixed principles in the respective arts / by H. Repton, Esq.
- London : Printed by T. Bensley, Bolt Court, for J. Taylor, at the Architectural Library, High Holborn, 1803.
- Physical Description:
- 16, 222,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill., port., map ; 35 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSB471 .R47 1803+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsSB471 .R47 1803+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Stipple engraved frontispiece portrait of the author by William Holl; after Samuel Shelley. The remaining plates aquatints and line engravings, mostly unsigned. Plate  engraved by S. Porter; plate  engraved by S. Porter, after J. Adey Repton.
A number of the plates have engraved overslips, showing changes in landscape.
Also includes aquatint and wood-engraved illustrations within the text.
Abbey, J.R. Scenery, 390
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1979 ed.) 399
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy one is the Abbey copy. Bound in gilt-tooled diced calf. Copy 2 bound in gilt- and blind-stamped smooth calf. Bookplate: Richard Blackett Beaumont. Ms inscription: C.M. Sneyd, given me by my cousin Edith Cope, wife of Edmund, eldest son of Sir William Cope of Bramshill. Ms inscription: From the library of Mrs. V.P.J. Gibson, great-great-great-grand-daughter of Humphry Repton.
- Subject Terms:
- Beaumont, Richard Blackett -- Bookplate.Cope, Edith -- Pres. insc. to C.M. Sneyd.Formal gardens -- Design -- Great Britain.Gardening -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Gardens -- Design -- Great Britain.Givson, V.P.J., Mrs. -- Provenance.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 18th century.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Landscape architecture.Landscape gardening.Sneyd, C.M. -- Pres. insc. from Edith Cope.
- Aquatints -- 1803.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1803.
Wood engravings -- 1803.
Stipple engravings -- 1803.
Engravings -- 1803.
YCBA Collections Search
Repton, Humphry, 1752-1818, Observations on the theory and practice of landscape gardening , 1803
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.