Description of the ruins of an ancient city : discovered near Palenque, in the kingdom of Guatemala, in Spanish America / translated from the original manuscript report of Captain Don Antonio del Rio ; followed by Teatro critico americano, or, A critical investigation and research into the history of the Americans / by Doctor Paul Felix Cabrera, of the City of New Guatemala.
- London : Published by Henry Berthoud, no. 65, Regent's Quadrant, Piccadilly : and Suttaby, Evance and Fox, Stationer's Court, 1822.
London : Printed by G. Schulze, 13, Poland Street.
- Physical Description:
- xiii, , 128 pages,  leaves of plates (1 folded) : illustrations, plans ; 28 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsF1435.1.P2 R56 1822+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Related Content:
- View a selection of digital images in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database
- Printer's statement from verso of half-title.
"The plates are from drawings by F. Waldeck"--Sabin.
Plates are unnumbered.
Printed spine label: "Don Ant. del Rio and D. Cabrera's Work on America. 17 plates. Price 1l. 8s."
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 71446
BEIN C52 0110: Imperfect: p. [i-ii] wanting. Autograph of James J. Jarves.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original brown paper boards, with printed spine label. Bookplate: John Haddon Hindley. Publisher's advertisement:  pages tipped in at front.
- Subject Terms:
- Hindley, John Haddon -- Bookplate.Indians -- Antiquities.Indians -- Origin.Jarves, James J. -- Autograph.Mayas -- Antiquities.Palenque (Chiapas, Mexico)
- Lithographs -- 1822.
YCBA Collections Search
Rio, Antonio del, Description of the ruins of an ancient city , 1822
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.